Thursday, November 8, 2007

I Got Accepted!

I had completely forgotten that I had submitted an entry to a juried competition. Today I was notified that my piece "How I Spent My Summer Vacation" was accepted into an exhibition at the Art for a Cause Gallery in Miami Beach, Florida. How cool is that?!?

This was my very first pictorial quilt. I started with two different photos, one of me with the setting sun in the background, and the other of palm trees. I photoshoped myself out of the first photo and merged it with the tree photo. This was the result.

The piece was made by collaging a multitude of different fabrics in colors to represent the sky, the sea, and the sun. The semi-circle of the sun is done with a piece of gold metallic fabric. After a lot of heavy quilting, the palm trees were appliquéd over the collage. The trees were painstakingly cut from non-fraying upholstery velvet.

No comments: